Re: Vega engines

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Vega engines
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 22:22:19 -0600
William Eastman wrote:

> What let the Vega down, if I remember correctly,  was the head gasket and
> marginal cooling.  They used and iron head on the aluminum block and, if
> the engine ever got even marginally hot, the gasket blew, the car
> overheated, and the cylinders were destroyed.

Which makes me wonder about a Cosworth Vega motor. They were only built in 74
and 75 (I think) and had a four-valve Cosworth aluminum head instead of the
silly design-by-commitee GM think.

With the Cosworth head and iron liners, that motor would be pretty different
and could probably be made to scoot pretty good. Saw one advertised here in
K.C. for $1,700 (and said with Webers). Of course, getting parts for the motor
would probably make the 'C' stuff seem pretty common.

Hey, Bill, what's that third weird CC?
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The biggest thing that happened to the six-cylinder engine in 20 years was