Re: MGB Brake rotors

To: Larry A Hoy <mgb.roadster@juno.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Brake rotors
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 18:17:50 -0500
Larry A Hoy wrote:

> I have a "spare" set of front brake rotors for my MGB, I have considered
> drilling them for ventilation purposes.  The rotors are from a 1976 B
> roadster and my car is a 1969 B roadster.
>
> Are these rotors the same?  I think so.
>
> What is the new specs for thickness?  I think it is .375"
>
> What is the minimum thickness specs?  My "spares" measure .290"
>
> Do you drill then turn, or turn then drill?
>
> The rotors look OK so do you drill and just put them on (and forget
> turning).
>
> TIA
>
> Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
> Denver, CO USA
> 1969 MGB Roadster
> 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
> ===============================
larry, crossdrilling with no way to pass air through the holes is a good
way to spend time but not effective.  to cool the rotor through these
holes, there must be a mechanism in place to duct air through the
rotors.  doing the drilling to a used rotor with no knowledge of the
potential fracture points is also a good way to do serious damage to
yourself and the car. crossdrilled rotors can and do develop radial
crakcing and a brake rotor the has a chunk break out and then meets the
pads when the brakes are applied is not a pretty sight.  if you want to
accomplish a spefic brake target or eliminate a brake problem, there are
manyu other methods. good luck and be careful. let us know if we can
help. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive