Re: AM/FM/MPX 8 Track (NO LBC)

To: bb@odsys.net
Subject: Re: AM/FM/MPX 8 Track (NO LBC)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 23:26:31 +0000
> >Ben,
> >I agree that you should update your sound system in your 1978 B, but
> >make sure you carefully save that gem of an 8 track deck.  They may be
> >in disfavor now, but wait 10 or 20 years.  Someday you will have
> >fanatics like me who are restoring their cars and want "period" auto
> >accessories.
>
> I would be one of those collectors now.. I have a British Leyland supplied
> AM/FM 8-track in my 74 1/2 'BGT and I listen to 8-tracks all the time.
> The '70 America has an under-dash 8-track as well. My homepage has
> links to 8-track collecting. http://www.russellks.net/scw
>
> I like going to flea markets and buying 40 minutes of music for 10 cents,
> but sometimes the 8-tracks need restoring as much as the cars!
>
> Scott

Scott,
        The other nice thing about embracing a technology that everyone
else has thrown away is how cheap the hardware is.  I went into a
used electronics shop in Dallas and walked out with a Micro Seiki
Turntable and a Bang & Olufsen turntable, both for $300!  (For the
younger listers, the Micro Seiki cost about $5000 new, and the B&O
wasn't much less, I think around $2000.
        I love my albums, and think that they really do sound better than
CDs, but I can't stand the pops and crackles.  And these days, you're
lucky to find album cleaner in the stores, much less anything to
reduce static pops.  I did see a software program the other day that
supposedly lets you record your albums to your computer, digitally
remove the surface noise and pops, and then write them to recordable
CDs.  THAT might be the way to go for all of my stuff that hasn't
been re-issued it on CD.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com