Re: AM/FM/MPX 8 Track

To: bb@odsys.net
Subject: Re: AM/FM/MPX 8 Track
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 23:26:31 +0000
> On 09-Jan-98, KILE, PAUL D wrote:
> >Ben,
> >I agree that you should update your sound system in your 1978 B, but
> >make sure you carefully save that gem of an 8 track deck.  They may be
> >in disfavor now, but wait 10 or 20 years.  Someday you will have
> >fanatics like me who are restoring their cars and want "period" auto
> >accessories.
>
> I would be one of those collectors now.. I have a British Leyland supplied
> AM/FM 8-track in my 74 1/2 'BGT and I listen to 8-tracks all the time.
> The '70 America has an under-dash 8-track as well. My homepage has
> links to 8-track collecting. http://www.russellks.net/scw
>
> I like going to flea markets and buying 40 minutes of music for 10 cents,
> but sometimes the 8-tracks need restoring as much as the cars!
>
> Scott
>
> --
With the advent of direct-track access on CDs, I don't know if our
kids will ever understand what it was like on the early 8-track
players that didn't even have fast-forward or rewind.

(crotchety-geezer voice mode ON)
"In MY day, we switched to the appropriate track and we just DROVE
AROUND until the song we wanted came up!  THAT was our
fast-forward!!"

(Note:  I'm only 27, so truthfully speaking, The heyday of 8-tracks
was a little before my time, but I've always been fascinated by
older stereo gear. As a result, I have a collection of about 200 Cds,
400 cassettes, 532 albums, and 50 reel-to-reel tapes.  Alas, even *I*
got rid of my 8-tracks a few years back, even though one could still
catalog-order an 8-track player from Radio Shack until 1991!)
Scott