Re: Cam Timing

To: "John McCauley" <jege@dock.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Cam Timing
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 20:40:20 -0500
At 05:14 PM 1/10/98 -0800, John McCauley wrote:

>I have just installed a performance camshaft in my new engine, and it has

>no guts.  I have been told it is the cam timing, so I puchased a degree

>wheel.  I have installed it on my car and it is set to top dead center.  I

>can't make any sense of how to use it beyond that.

>My cam specs are:

>Duration at .050  229 deg.

>Intake   opens 8   closes 41

>Exhaust   opens 41   closes 8

>Cam rise .295    L/C 108 deg.

Greg, from what I know, that doesn't sound like a performance camshaft; the
duration is not very much,  but I'm not sure.

Plus the cam rise isn't very much either.  I think mine was like .4 and a 270
deg. duration.

Where did you get this cam and what is it in particular?   If you lined up the
two marks on the crankshaft and camshaft gears, then your cam should be lined
up properly.

jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.