Adjusting valves..

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Adjusting valves..
From: Skye Poier <skye@jungle.direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:59:21 -0800
The other day I thought I'd give adjusting the valves a whirl on my
girlfriend's car, the Haynes manual gives instructions more or less
as follows:

Turn the crankshaft ccw until #1 is at TDC and the cam lobe isn't in
contact with the rocker arm.  Measure tappet to valve stem clearance and
adjust as necessary.  Rotate the crankshaft ccw 180 degrees and adjust
#4, 180 degrees again and adjust #3, 180 degrees again and #2.  I'm doing
this from memory but I think thats right.

Anyway, my simple question, I don't have a timing wheel for exact 180 degree
turns, does it matter if the cylinder is exactly at TDC when I adjust?  It
doesn't seem to me that it would matter as long as the cam lobe isn't in
cotact with the rocker arm, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely
possible).

Oh yeah, and its a front wheel drive so the engine is mounted.. whats
the word.. transverse?  I think the front valves are intake and the back
ones are exhaust.  I'll have to figure that one out though.

Cheers,
Skye

--
www.mgb.bc.ca