Re: Adjusting valves..

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Adjusting valves..
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:13:44 -0500
>Anyway, my simple question, I don't have a timing wheel for exact 180 degree
>turns, does it matter if the cylinder is exactly at TDC when I adjust?  It
>doesn't seem to me that it would matter as long as the cam lobe isn't in
>cotact with the rocker arm, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely
>possible).
>
>Oh yeah, and its a front wheel drive so the engine is mounted.. whats
>the word.. transverse?  I think the front valves are intake and the back
>ones are exhaust.  I'll have to figure that one out though.
>
>Cheers,
>Skye
>
>--
>www.mgb.bc.ca

Skye, it is not essential that you be 100% exact in regard to locating TDC
for the cylinders that don't line up with the timing pointer.  However, in
the interest of eliminating any possible doubt, here is an easy trick for
being sure you are "right on".  Simply use a piece of string to wrap around
the pulley - cut the string where it overlaps after going around the pulley
one turn.  Fold the string in half and mark the fold with a magic marker.
Now place one end of the string on the pulley so the end is even with the
timing mark on the pulley.  Wrap the string around the pulley and transfer
the mark on the string to the pulley.  This will be exactly 180 degrees
opposite the original timing mark.  Use some white paint to identify the
mark and it should last a long time and will be easier to see if you would
like to use a timing light to see these cylinders firing.    The only
exception that I am aware of is the ill-fated odd-fire V6 that GM built back
in the late 70's and early 80's.  Otherwise this should work for all
four-stroke engines.

Good luck!!!!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff
Power British        http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars

"Whadya mean it won't pass the smog test?!@*!  It's only a 948 and most
 of the time #4 misses - how much pollution could three little
 cylinders possibly make!"