Re: patching rust holes? -- Body leading

To: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord), Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: patching rust holes? -- Body leading
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:35:20 -0500
Nory/Barney and anyone else interested:

Use of screen as a backing for bondo is one of the abuses of the product
that gave it such a bad reputation.  Bondo is not a structural material.
The screen is used to prevent the bondo from falling thru the hole until it
dries.  The resulting repair is GUARANTEED TO FAIL.

My experience is that used properly, plastic fillers are very reliable.
Used properly means that it is only applied over solid metal, and never in
amounts thicker than 1/8".  Once applied it must be sealed immediately, as
the material is hygroscopic.  And by the way, most primers are not
waterproof, so they cannot be relied upon to seal the repair.

Any rust left under the bondo will eventually cause it to fail.

I don't disagree with Barney that lead is a fine means to fill repairs, and
if you have the needed equipment and skill, I reccommend it, especially on
high vibration applications like the bonnett on T series cars.  I don't
think that it should ever be considered as suitable for patching holes in
sheetmetal, unless your desire is to rip off an unsuspecting buyer.  Same
applies for bondo.

Regards,

Chris Delling