Re: patching rust holes? -- Body leading

To: byers@cconnect.net
Subject: Re: patching rust holes? -- Body leading
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:28:43 +0000
> Use of screen as a backing for bondo is one of the abuses of the product
> > that gave it such a bad reputation.  Bondo is not a structural material.
> > The screen is used to prevent the bondo from falling thru the hole until
> it
> > dries.  The resulting repair is GUARANTEED TO FAIL.
>
> The screen backing  was my contribution to answering the original question,
> so I guess I'll have to respond to this.  NOT NECESSARILY SO.   I repaired
> the infamous holes in the A-post panels on my Midget this way over 10 years
<<SNIP>>

> Steve Byers
> Havelock, NC USA
> '73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
> "It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
> than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

Hey all,
        I lost my original post, but in Steve's defense, I think I said that
the hole was about the size of a pencil eraser.  I could see using
the Bondo/screen method on a hole that size.  I would, however, feel
"antsy" about using it on anything bigger than a 1" hole or so.
        Here's what I've decided.  Either I'm going to knock a dent in the
metal surrounding the hole so I can weld in a patch panel from the
outside and fill it, or I'm going to wait until I have the floor pans
replaced and do the doglegs then.
Scott