Re: patching rust holes?

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: patching rust holes?
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 06:48:17 -0800
Hey Listers:

Just when you think you've heard all that there is to repairing rust
holes, here comes a new twist!

The Eastwood Company (again, no financial connection...they just have
neat stuff!   www.eastwoodco.com) now offers a "weldless" option for
panel repairs that I haven't seen anywhere else.  In  a nutshell, here
are the steps:

You cut out the hole to be repaired, select a repair panel.  Then using
the "flanging" vice grips, creat offset flanges on the new panel as well
as around the circumference of the hole to be repaired.

Then you drill 1/8th" holes into both panels, use some neat temporary
holders 'till all the holes are made.   Remove everything, use the
special "dimpling" vice grips at all the holes.  Then you use a special
two part epoxy panel adhesive, put the panel in place and then use their
special "countersunk" aluminum pop rivets.  Because of the "dimpling"
steps taken previously, the holes and rivets are all countersunk.

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was right around $100.00, I
think.  I already have a set of the flanging/dimpling vice grips and
panel holders from Eastwood. High quality tools that I just haven't
found elsewhere. A lot of the stuff Eastwood sells probably appeals more
to street rodders, but their catalog is definitely one that I keep in
the bathroom.  'Nuff said!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components