Re: Flasher trouble

To: scottmi@MICROSOFT.com
Subject: Re: Flasher trouble
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:35:11 +0000
> Hello,
<<SNIP>>
> in my electrical ignorance, i am wondering if it is a short (somewhere) that
> is dropping the voltage to the relay?
> any suggestions on how to track this down or what to look for?
>
> Thanks
> Scott Miller
> scottmi@microsoft.com
> > *425.936.9037

Scott,
        I don't know if the wiring is the same as my '72, but check all of
the connections on the back of the hazard flasher.  The turn signal
system draws its power from the hazard flasher switch, and if yours
is mounted in the center console like mine, then the shop almost
certainly removed it to install the stereo.  The hazard switch
sometimes has cruddy connections, leading to intermittant performance
of the flashers.  On my car, if the turn signals don't work, the
FIRST thing I do is flip the hazards on and off.  This usually fixes
it.  The fact that your flashers still work occasionally leads me to
believe that all of the connections were replaced in the proper
place, one of them is just loose.
        Here's another quick check.  Turn the ignition on, and flip the turn
signals on (either direction).  Probe both sides of the turn signal
flasher with a test light or voltmeter.  You should have constant
+12V on one side of the flasher if the turn signals aren't working.
If you don't, then the voltage isn't getting from the hazard switch
to the turn signal flasher.
        One last bit of general troubleshooting advice.  Open/loose circuit
faults are MUCH more common than shorts, because shorts usually turn
into opens about a millisecond later! (with the accompanying release
of magic smoke...)

Scott