Re: Guage Lenses

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: Guage Lenses
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:05:55 EST
Hi Dan,
  Cleaning the gauge lenses is one of the most satisfying things you can
do--well, unless you like that soft, fuzzy look of the calibrations on
the gauges.
  Loosen the instrument retaining screws and move the instruments
slightly into the cockpit. Then you can grasp the chrome ring and rotate
about 30 degrees in either direction, at which point the lugs on the ring
will disengage from the instrument. Clean the glass, it's real glass and
surprisingly thick, then reinstall.  This works for all the round gauges.
When someone figures out how to do this to the oil pressure gauge, I
would appreciate learning.
  BTW, this would be an appropriate time to remove the instruments
completely and to spray clean, bright white paint in them to recoat the
old white that has darkened. Then, if you are really into illumination,
replace the 12v bulbs with 7.2v bulbs and turn down the rheostat.
  Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you start messing around
under the dash. It's pretty crowded under there for large hands.
Bob