Re: MG: the Untold Story

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG: the Untold Story
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:15:15 -0500 (EST)
Trevor Boicey wrote:

<My local bookshop got a copy of "MG: The untold story" by
David Knowles in.

  Has anyone read this book? Is it worth it? The text looked
excellent but they only had it in hardcover at $55.95. The other
thing that I was a little afraid of is that a lot of the book
was about later cars that only the UK ever saw anyways.

  Opinions?

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada>

Trevor,

This is a great book. It is the most thorough history of the marque I have
seen yet. It goes deep into the development of the cars, alternatives
examined, the whys and wherefores of what finally emerged. There is more
detail than I have ever seen before that puts these events into context with
what else was happening elsewhere within Morris/BMC/Leyland/Rover. All this
is told with a nice balance between the details of cars themselves, the
personalities of those developing them and the car market in general. Yes
there are lot of cars that didn't go to North America - there are a lot of
prototypes and development cars and alternatives to the production cars that
never saw the light of day anywhere until now. There's a great deal of detail
on the development of the post Abingdon cars up to the MGF. This is a great
book that I would recommend very highly. The $59.95 price sounds a bit steep
though. I got my copy through BritBooks for $39.95US and I have seen it in
local stores at the same price.

Kim Tonry
Editor - MGB Driver - the Journal of the North American MGB Register
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA