Slightly illegal exhaust modifications.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Slightly illegal exhaust modifications.
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:03:41 +0000
All this talk about exhaust systems and matching the carbs to the
exhaust have gotten me thinking.  Has anyone here run their MGB
without a muffler?  I'm thinking of putting one of those
cable-operated Y-gates just before the muffler, connected to a piece
of pipe running straight out the back of the car, next to the
existing tailpipe.  It would only be used on the highway, of course.
A friend of mine back at Nuke school had a similar setup on a '96
Z-28, and it sounded beautiful, and the car performed noticeably
better.  Actually, his was a bit more trick.  The Y-valve was
operated by exhaust pressure.  At idle, everything went through the
catalytic converter and muffler, so he could pass emissions tests.
When he jumped on the gas, the increase in pressure would activate
the valve, and everything would bypass the cat and muffler, but still
come out the same tailpipe.  Illegal as heck, I know, but that's one
of the benefits of military life.  I haven't had a car inspected in
almost five years!
Scott