Re: Slightly illegal exhaust modifications.

To: gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: Slightly illegal exhaust modifications.
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:01:05 EST
Leaving aside the proliferation of citations you'll most likely get for
excessive noise,
 you are gonna loose power.
 If you set up the car to run correctly with the open exhaust, it will be
choked to death with the silencers in place. Or vice versa, if it;s tuned
for a silenced exhaust, you'll probalby find that the engine run's out of
breath with an open exhaust.
 With out getting into the ethics of open exhausts, let me make a
suggestion.
 With a properly set up exhaust, ( well designed headers, properly sized
pipes and an effecient, high flowing silencer - muffler to us 'mericans)
you can achieve the low back pressure of the open exhaust and still be
legal, even if just barely.
 There is another point.
 I don't know about your local ordinances/laws, but here in SC, having a
"cut-out" on a car that is operable from the cockpit is specifically
outlawed. The fine is up to $1000 per cut out. Plus, the court usually
requires the device be removed permenantly, and you have to show the bill
where you had it done ( no fair doing it yourself)
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget