Adjusting MGC/GT Valves

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Adjusting MGC/GT Valves
From: David Rothman <drothma@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:00:30 -0500
Hello,
 I have been restoring an MGC/GT for about 3 years. I have gotten throu=
gh what
I consider the hard part; the sills and floor pans, welding and cutting=
, rust
proofing. Last winter I pulled the engine, rebuilt it with new pistons =
and
rings, bearings, cam. I bought NO_LEAD head valves , seats and guides a=
nd sent
the block and head to a machine shop to have the block bored to 20 over=
 and the
head rebuilt. I have the engine back in the C-GT , I have spark, fuel a=
nd have
verified the timing/spark on each cylinder. The engine tries to kick ov=
er but
backfires when this happens. I assume at this point that my valves are =
not
adjusted properly and that is why it wont start and backfires when it t=
ries.
Here is the question : The workshop manual simplys says (on page 01.B2)=
"Adjust the valve rocker clearances to .015 inches cold"; does ANYONE o=
ut there
have experience adjusting C valves and can give me more detail ? Should=
 I be
starting with #1 TDC and adjusting #1 valves then rotate to #2 and adju=
st #2,
etc... ?

Stumped on Cape Cod,
 David Rothman - '69 MGC/GT in Sandwich, MASS
=