Re: Adjusting MGC/GT Valves

To: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Adjusting MGC/GT Valves
From: David Rothman <drothma@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:50:58 -0500
Thanks to every one on the list that sent me advice on getting my MGC/G=
running !

 The timing ended up being out of wack. I assumed because the distibuto=
r could
only be put in one way and that I had lined up the time marks on the ge=
ars that
I was home free. When I went to adjust the valves by the "rule of 13", =
it was
obvious that the timing was off. The valves WERE way out of wack also b=
ut Paul
Hunts advice was correct about the distributor shaft gear. I went back =
to the
manual for installing the distributor drive and found instructions to i=
nsert
the gear in a very specific way while #6 was on the compression stroke.=
 I was
stumped for a while because it  would not go in so that it was lined up=
 like
the diagram in the manual. I finally figured out that I actually needed=
rotate the oil pump enage slot by about 30 degrees.

To say the least I was **** ELATED *** when the engine started right up=
 and
roared to life !!! I am now on schedule to have this dream of mine on t=
he road
this spring. I  have never rebuilt a C engine before and even though I =
was very
carefull, I was doubting myself and I have now been vindicated! Now I c=
an send
it out to be painted and begin rebuilding the seats and dash; what a ru=
sh !

David Rothman - '69 MGC/GT
=