Re: aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies

To: gofastmg@juno.com
Subject: Re: aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:45:23 +0000
> On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:53:39 -0500 Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
> writes:
> >Rick Morrison wrote:
> >>   The exhaust and intake are so tied.  Simply put, what goes in,
> >must
> >> come out.
> >
> >  That's just not true. What goes in comes out, along with a whole
> >lot more. Gasoline goes in as a vapour and comes out as various
> >gases which are much more voluminous.
> Please explain how a whole lot more goes out than comes in. Maybe I
> missed something, but I was under the impression that matter can neither
> be created nor destroyed - only changed.
> >  That is the central point.

Actually, the correct statement is that ENERGY cannot be created or
destroyed, only altered in form (First law of thermodynamics).
        Anyway, even though the matter DOES remain constant in your typical
non-nuclear-power MGB, volume is another concern entirely.  As the
fuel/air mixture burns, it expands rapidly, so that the amount of
gas/vapor coming out of the head is much larger than the amount going
in.  Whether this has any effect on carb/exhaust "matching" is left
to better engineers than I.
Scott