Re: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods
From: "Felix Wong" <felix_wong@alumni.stanford.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:13:08 -0800
>Maybe it's a chrome bumper/rubber bumper thing, but I found that on
>my '72, placing a jack under the spring pan does nothing but lift
>that corner of the car off the ground.  The spring hardly compresses
>at all.  To finish the job last time, I had to borrow a 235-pound man
>from an adjacent stall and ask him to sit on my fender while I jacked
>under the spring pan.  Without the added weight, all of the parts of
>the car just moved upwards atthe same time, with no relative motion
>between them.  Only with the added weight could I get the spring pan
>to move up with the body staying still.
>Scott

That's pretty interesting cuz on my '69 B, a floor jack under the spring pan
was able to compress the old/new/left/right springs really easily, *without*
a 235-lb man!  :-)  I would guess that maybe some of your suspension
components were nearly seized, or the floor jack was placed too close to the
pan's axis of rotation?

-Felix
      __        Felix Wong             Northern California, USA
      |,\_O    (650)528-9768           My web page is now at:
   ( )/ LL     http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1547
        ( )    '69 B, '92 C'dale 3.0 R (stiff, light, and FAST)
   Fw = mg                   "Safety fast!"