Re: Best SOUNDING exhaust

To: aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Best SOUNDING exhaust
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:27:52 +0000
> I'd kind of like to formalize this thread, if I may..
>
> What exhaust setup, combo, products do You think sound best on an MGB?
>
> I'd like to try straight back with a glass pack and a dual chrome tip.
>
> Anybody?
>
> Andy
> --
Andy,
 I'm sure some people on the list have done this in the past, but if
you don't have to have a catalytic converter legally fitted, you
could go to a reputable exhaust shop and have the work done for
cheap.  Buy a good header. (I hear the Peco header comes highly
recommended.)  Then go to a speed shop and buy a "Cherry Bomb"
muffler.  They are available in a variety of lengths and diameters,
and usually run less than $20.  They are of the straight-flow
fibreglass-packed type.  You can also buy a twin-chrome "ANSA" or
"MONZA" tip. (Also available in a variety of diameters, for about
$25.)  Ask for a "twin monza tip", and they'll know what you're
talking about, even if they carry a different brand.  Take the parts
to the exhaust shop, and have them supply the pipe of an appropriate
diameter.  Considering the low price of the tip and muffler, you
could probably go with stainless steel on the pipes for less total
cost than a mild steel setup from one of the big catalogues, labor
included.
Scott