2" and bigger headers?

To: Darren_Jameson@illinova.com
Subject: 2" and bigger headers?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:27:52 +0000

> With all this exhausting discussion going on; I was reminded that I have a
> brand-new Monza exhaust sitting in my basement.  This was slated to go into
> my '66 B, but since I bought a large bore 2" header, it seems that I'm
> either going to have a 2" exhaust fabricated or buy a pre-fab.  Therefore
> I'm selling the exhaust for any reasonable offer plus shipping.
> I think what I want to do is a NASCAR style exhaust with the pipes ending
> just before the rear arch.  If you've seen NASCAR exhausts, they are a work
> of art.  They come off of the header and form into a wide twin oval shape.
> Now if I can only find someone that could do this for me... any ideas?
> -Darren Jameson
> '66B

Along these lines, I'm seeing a lot of cars and trucks these days
(both factory and aftermarket setups) that have 2", 2 1/2" or even 3"
exhaust systems.  Do they actually have headers this size,
or is there some benefit to having a tailpipe bigger than the exhaust
header? (If there is, I'm sure it's subject to the law of diminishing
returns, just like everything else.)  How do you have an exhaust pipe
bigger than the diameter of the header(s), anyway?  Is it just a
matter of an adapter where the two pieces meet?
Scott