Re: UK Historic Vehicle Survey

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: UK Historic Vehicle Survey
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:42:49 +0000
> The FEDERATION OF BRITISH HISTORIC VEHICLE CLUBS recently carried out a
> survey into UK historic vehicle ownership.  The key findings are:-
>
> 1. Over 650,000 vehicles made before 1977 are still in existence.
> SNIP>>
> 5. Over 36% of owners cover under 1,500 miles annually in (any one of)
> their old vehicles, while a further 31% cover between 1,500 and 3,000.
> Thus, under a third of us cover more than 3,000 miles. Only 4% cover in
> excess of 10,000 miles a year.
>
> 6. 33% or historic vehicles are used as regular transport (i.e., more
> than three times a week).
<>SNIP>>

> Footnote - 33,000 members of FBHVC member clubs drive a modern vehicle
> of the same marque as an historic vehicle they own. I'm willing to bet
> that M.G. Car Club members represent a significant proportion of that
> statistic.
>
> Source:- MG Car Club via the MGCars Web site at WWW.MGCARS.ORG.UK

So a full third of the cars are daily drivers, but only 4% of the
owners drive any one of their classic cars more than 10,000 miles a
year?  I don't know how many miles they consider "regular" transport,
but I put two hundred miles a week on mine, just going to work!
        I'm also a little confused about the footnote.  How could MG owners
own a modern vehicle the same marque as their collector cars?  With
the exception of the few people owning MGFs, there ARE no modern MGs!
Scott