More Assorted MG ?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More Assorted MG ?
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:15:20 -0700 (MST)
Hey everybody!

As the engine removal process for the OD installation marches on, I'm
presented with a stream of questions and comments that I'd like to request
some input on from the incredible store of knowledge on this list.

Driveshaft: Having removed the non-OD shaft, much to my chagrin, it is
identical to the one that came with the OD transmission. Raises a couple of
points. Wasn't there supposed to be a difference between OD and non? OD
shorter as I recall? No difference? Perchance I still need a OD driveshaft?

In a sudden moment of Homer Simpson-ism, I have now realized that this
conversion will require an OD speedo and cable. Both of which I removed from
a parted out GT a couple of years ago, and promptly sold to another
enthusiast - via this actual list! DOH!

So, now I'm searching for an OD speedo. DOH! (again)

Tech Info: Where can an individual source MGB related tech info on the 'net?
I'd like some source with a search function, rather than having to scroll
through pages of non-relevant info?

For anyone interested, here's where I am with my latest project, finally
begun in earnest after two years of procrastination: install overdrive in
'68 roadster, the car I restored ground-up some 8 years ago. Have logged
7500 miles since, and the OD will be my 'Dairy Queen curl' for the car.

Presently, the car's up on stands in the garage, drained of oil & coolant.
Hood/bonnet off and wrapped in blankets and stored away safely. Fenders
covered in old sheets and secured. Rad/oil cooler & lines/shroud, air
filters/carbs/intake manifold off and stored. Driveshaft out (What? Same as
the other? DOH!)

Once the engine and tranny are out, plan included replacing the rear engine
seal, which leaks like a sieve. Now have discovered front seal seems to have
some blow-by, or perhaps it's from the oil cooler, which seemed to have some
blow-by from the lower corner.

None-the-less, I'm haunted by the "why didn't you do it when the engine was
out" voice, so I may as well. Which brings me to this question: gasket
sealers. Now, I know you're not to dress the rear seal in anything
(correct?), but how about the front seal?

My goal - a dripless LBC. Yeah, call me crazy, but my ol' BGT can be parked
in any friend's freshly dressed driveway without any of those embarassing
"oh, you've got a british car" moments!

The OD has been checked over and cleaned, front and read seals replaced. New
gaskets for the inspection plate and filter cover will stop the slight
weeping I see presently. Ordered those puppies this past week from VB.

Actually, I've dinged up a startling amount in a short time for a bunch of
'little' things, like engine ID plates et al.

Ah well, I can hear it now..."why didn't you do it when the engine was out"

Ramble mode off.

Terry Williams
'70 BGT (sleeping)
'68 roadster (improving)