Re: Dashboard repairs

To: "Benjamin Ruset" <bruset@monmouth.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard repairs
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:27:21 -0800
Ben - there are actually two ways to repair your dashboard (three, if you
count bondo and black paint!).

The "cap" other listers have referred to is literally that - a thin cap
that you glue over the top portion of the dash. It is molded in such a way
that, applied carefully, you can hardly tell it's there. However, it
(obviously) covers only cracks on the top of your existing dashboard.

The other is the "pad". This is a whole new padded dash that you glue to
the metal frame of your dashboard. It requires removing all the instruments
and switches, taking the dashboard completely out of the car, removing the
old pad, sanding the metal relatively clean and smooth, and then gluing the
new pad in place. Done properly, this will look just like a brand new
dashboard and is the only real fix for a dash that has cracks in the
vertical face or lower edge.

Hoping this explains the difference between a "cap" and a "pad".....

Lawrie

----------
> From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Soliciting Opinions -- Interior Kits
> Date: Sunday, January 25, 1998 6:28 AM
>
> What is the impression that you all have on the "Commerative Interior
Kit" that VB has for sale? I'm strongly considering it for my 78B.

> Second: I want to replace the dash. Mine has a nasty crack in it, and I
don't want to use the replacement "pad" thing. Is that just like a plastic
shell that sits on top of the old dash top, and adheres with adhesive
backing?