Re: Overdrive Conversion?

To: jason.sawyer@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive Conversion?
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:29:23 -0700
Jason, the best bet is to find a donor car (1976 or later) with
overdrive.  It is possible get the wires that go to the OD.  There is
only a couple of them so if you don't get them no big deal.  The only
thing you have to do then is pull the transmission out of your car and
install the transmission with the OD back in.  This way you don't have to
mess with changing the main shaft in the transmission, the drive shaft in
the car, or speedometer.  It's a slick deal, no complications.

If you go any other route you will have to change one or more of the
above items.

Rear end gears from the MGC will fit your car and have a ratio of 3.07:1,
your present ratio is 3.909:1.  Yes this will lower the rpm at 70mph but
bicycles will beat you across the intersection, not to mention those
danged M*atas!  Your best bet is the OD or one of those 5 speed
conversions some of the list members were talking about last week.

By the way 4000 rpm isn't going to hurt your engine.

The biggest advantage of overdrive is this, cruising at 70mph is much
calmer!

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster(with OD)
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
===============================
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 06:33:36 -0800 Jason <jason.sawyer@ibm.net> writes:
>Sorry to resubmit, but I never got any answers. Hope I'm not being too
much
>of a pain, but this 4000 at highway speeds is worrying me. I'd like to
>drive it more, but I'm worried that I'll damage the engine.
>
>> Is it possible / plausible to convert my non-overdrive 79 MGB to
>> overdrive? My tach reads 4000 at 70 mph. I'd like to get it down some.
>> Is 4000 rpms for extended time a big deal? Could I replace the rear
end
>> gears for a better final ratio?
>>
>> Jason
>> 79 MGB

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]