Re: to blast or not to blast

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: to blast or not to blast
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:29:59 -0500
Hi Jurgen:

The old recommendation for painting engines is to not use a primer, because
most cannot withstand the heat, but to paint directly on the castings.
I've used this method successfully for years.  My MGB engine, painted 3
years ago with a household acrylic enamel spray can, after a simple
pressure washing, still looks as new.

I am sure there are modern primers which are heat resistant but my
experience is that extensive preparation is unnecessary.  The factory paint
on fresh castings usually endures for years and it was certainly not as
sophisticated as the paints available today.  Paint adheres extremely well
to cast iron if it is even reasonably clean due to the rough porous nature
of the medium.  Primer tends to fill the voids and could reduce the
adherence properties existing.

John