Wrong engine or wrong transmission?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wrong engine or wrong transmission?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:23:40 +0000
I'm trying to figure out which is the non-original part in my car,
the engine or the transmission.  The engine number is 18V585ZXXXXX,
which would lead me to believe the engine was originally mated to an
overdrive transmission.  The one in the car is a non-overdrive.  I
have the overdrive switch, but I'm under the impression that all of
the '72 MGBs had the switch, whether or not they had the OD from the
factory.  The speedometer has a "1280" in small type at about the 5
o'clock position, if that means anything.  I don't want to order the
BHMA certificate for the car unless I have to.  Are there ways to
deduce the original tranny type from the VIN or any other numbers?
Scott