Suspension bushings and rubbers...and whatever

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Suspension bushings and rubbers...and whatever
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:43:18 -0600 (CST)
Right now, I've got my car jacked up, and just today, I finished replacing
most of my oil system (cooler, hoses, filter adapter, guage line, etc).

I had a problem with my front brake caliper (it's broke  :\  ), so I've got
it off, and I'm going to replace it (I'm getting some used ones off a parts
car from the guy I got my car from).

So, now I've got the car sitting up on jacks here, and I get to looking at
my front suspension again, and I say to myself....maybe replacing all these
busings and rubber parts isn't all that bad.  It needs to be done, and it
needs to be done within the next couple of months (before summer driving
season really kicks in).  :)  However, I really don't want to do this job
myself.  I would only get it apart and never get it back together again (not
to mention killing myself with those springs).  :\

Soooo....My question is:  Has anyone ever had any experience with having a
regular car shop do this stuff?  Will they know what they are doing?

There is a guy in town that works on British Cars (MG, Triumphs, etc), but
he will charge me $250-300 to do it.  However, he will take the whole thing
apart, clean it up, fix up the lever shocks, etc....basically make it look
nice and new (yes, it looks pretty bad under there).  Could this be worth
it?  (I think my income tax return could cover it...heh)  ;)  This guy is
good at what he does, and he will get the job done right.  He is expensive
though.

However, if another place did it, would they get it right, and will they do
a good enough job?  If I did it, I know it probably wouldn't be right.  :\

Anyway, the whole shabang may need to be done (in the way of cleaning and
rubber replacement).  Any comments or suggestions?

Blake Wylie
1970 MGB