Re: Suspension bushings and rubbers...and whatever

To: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension bushings and rubbers...and whatever
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 98 18:19:42 +0100
Blake wrote:

<snip>

>So, now I've got the car sitting up on jacks here, and I get to looking at
>my front suspension again, and I say to myself....maybe replacing all these
>bushings and rubber parts isn't all that bad.  It needs to be done, and it
>needs to be done within the next couple of months

<snip>

>Soooo....My question is:  Has anyone ever had any experience with having a
>regular car shop do this stuff?  Will they know what they are doing?

<snip>
>There is a guy in town ....

<snip>

>However, if another place did it, would they get it right, and will they do
>a good enough job?  If I did it, I know it probably wouldn't be right.  :\

This is _definitely_ one of the jobs you have to be _very_ careful about
whom you farm it out to.

I dit it myself. It requires some serious  tool designing / making.

WARNING 1:  There is a lot of tension on the front end springs, see e.g.
Lindsay Porters
                          book on how to handle this safely!!!

WARNING 2: Be VERY sure that you source the right parts.
                         I bought my rubbers (etc).  from M&G in Birkenhead
(now Moss) in Britain by
                         mail  order.
                         One year after I replaced them, (i.e. only about
2000 miles later) they were gone,
                         again. (Obviously, they have sent me  inferior
quality repro parts! ).
                         I REALLY REALLY HATE THIS as it involves a lot of
work.
                        The next  set of rubber bushings I ordered from my
almost local Rover dealership
                        (at about 5 times the cost of the first set; note:
not in stock, delivery time!).
                         This latter set has been under the car for 5 or 6
years now and is still in good condition.

Hope this is of some interest to you.

Greetings,
Bert.

One MGB and several other cars, both driveable and not driveable,
and NO time to work on them or drive them.....