Name that malady!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Name that malady!
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 00:53:44 EST
My 69 roadster developed two strange symptoms this evening - Neither are
familiar to me (and i thought id seen most of them!)

Symptom 1 - Cruising at about 60mph on the highway the car experienced a
slight loss of power accompanied by what i can only describe as a
"fluttering" sound - like a playing card on a kids bike rubbing against
the spokes - but more muffled, -a playing card wrapped in clth
perhaps!!!!
I should emphasise that the loss of power was noticable but the car did
not die, i could accellerate while it was happening albeit less than is
normal. The phenomenon lasted a minute maybe a minute and a half and then
the car was back to normal - Now we all know that these thing dont just
go away, the happen again....
and again,,,, until they break something
Any ideas? im flummoxed - since it was dark i couldnt see anything
untoward under the bonnet but it looked normal.

symptom 2 - Im fairly sure i have a better idea what this is but all
ideas welcome
Same trip, same car, daughter in passenger seat - a sporadic clunking
from the
rear passenger side - not grounding as far as i can tell and no apparent
impact on handling or feel.
Daughter gets out - clunking gone.........
Now presupposing my progeny didnt have gas or anything i imagine this has
to be the rear shocks, the car is riding a little low but no more so than
my 72. Ive had these "go" before and the sound was more of a rubbing -
this is a definite clunk.

Gauntlet down.....and a whole weekend to fix it/them - ??

mike robson
69 roadster (with EVERYTHING rebuilt except the blody rear shocks)
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]