RE: FCC and Internet Access

To: "'Richard D. Arnold'" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: RE: FCC and Internet Access
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:34:23 -0500
Declaring ISPs to be "telecommunications services" would have a number of
impacts.  Yes, access charges would be imposed, but on the other hand, ISPs
would not have to pay for services or facilities that they do not use.  The
net effect on user costs could be a reduction.

Also remember that an "access charge" is far different from the "per minute
charge" that folks were concerned about earlier.  In effect, ISP's would be
paying the same minimal per customer charge that our long distance carriers
pay to local telcos.

The Internet Community should probably get involved, but the question is:
on which side of the issue?

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net
'77 MG Midget
paid for by a day job at the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio

On Thursday, January 29, 1998 9:22 AM, Richard D. Arnold
[SMTP:richard.arnold@juno.com] wrote:
> In regards to our recent discussions of the FCC and Internet access, an
> article appeared in NewsWeek last week.  As it contained information that
> appeared contrary to what was decided by the FCC in a prior question, I
> e-mailed NewsWeek to determine the sources in the article, and received
> the following response.
>
> Perhaps we should continue contacting the FCC?
>
> --------- Begin forwarded message ----------
> From: "Scott, Robert" <rscott@nwnet.newsweek.com>
>
> We appreciated your note regarding our story about online access fees
> ("Offline?" Cyberscope, Jan. 26, 1998). Our statement that the FCC is
> "deciding whether to allow local phone companies to charge for every
> minute you spend online" was not based on the FCC's 1996-97 Access Reform
> proceeding. Rather, our reporting found that the FCC could potentially
> recommend -- in its upcoming Report to Congress on Universal Service
> Under the Telecommunications Act of 1996 [*] that the classification of
> Internet Service Providers be changed from "enhanced service providers"
> to "telecommunications services." If such a recommendation were acted on
> by Congress, it would in effect remove the exempt status of ISPs and
> leave them open to local access charges. It is this possibility that
> concerns Dave McClure, of the Association of Online Professionals, who we
> quoted in our story.  Thank you for contacting us.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Robb Scott
> Letters
> rscott@nwnet.newsweek.com