Re: FCC and Internet Access (off topic)

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FCC and Internet Access (off topic)
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 98 11:58:24 -0000
On 30/1/98 9:04 am Benjamin Ruset said

>I just stared my new job last week -- installing *cable modems*.
>
>Let me tell you -- you have not seen fast until you see this. I downloaded
>a 20
>meg file in under one minute. And it has nothing to do with the phone
>company!
>=)
>
>By me, they charge $40 a month - including the lease on the modem itself. It
>may be higher or lower depending on where you live, but -- I would start
>bugging your local cable company to get this system! It's *fantastic!*

Is that the same as an ISDN line?

A British company has developed a system for sending digital signals down
electricity cables - a box tacked onto your meter decodes the signal.
This is said to be much faster than phone lines and cheaper than ISDN.
And of course, everyone's already linked up. Not sure when the service
will be available, a few years I guess. Of course, the phone and cable TV
companies are NOT happy about the idea!

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk