Re: Use a Rover, NOT an Buick V-8

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Use a Rover, NOT an Buick V-8
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 98 10:14:07 PST
Rick Morrison said some good things on the Buick vs Rover engine
question.  Truth is, the Rover blocks have much better metallurgy,
but then I don't think that Buick Can-am engine I almost bought
could be labeled "low on HP".

John says:

>  The question I must ask though is, what Rover you gonna ruin for you MG?
>You can steal these engines out of Range Rovers all you want, I don't mind.
>BUT PLEASE, PLEASE... DO NOT destroy a P5B or a P6 (3500) to make a fast
>MG.

I really don't think people are "destroying" cars to get MGB V-8
engines.  In my search for an engine, I saw *lots* of 3.5 engines
for sale, only one SD1.  And, it's really not a big deal to buy
an engine.  One supplier will sell you one needing rebuild for
$500.  Remember, these things were made in huge quantities, and
they're 100 quid from a scrappie in the UK.  We're talking about a
mass produced engine that's still in production, not an MGA
twin cam or some such.  My V-8 is from a wrecked Range Rover,
and I'm rather happy with the idea of a new 3.9 over the 3.5.
Again, Rover V-8s are easy to find.

And Kai commented:

>I have the same feeling about destroying an MG (any model) to convert it V8
>power.  Please try and located an empty bodyshell instead of yanking the
>engine out of a complete car!

>Would you like it if someone gave you a sex change without consulting you
>first?  Well I'm sure that old wary *complete* MGB isn't going to like
>someone ripping out its heart and putting in a V8.

Autocross season starts down here the 8th of Feb.  I put a new
headgasket on the 'B.  Visible around #2 and #3 exhaust valves
were cracks.  Dammit!  I've done everything right, aircraft
quality headstuds, ported and polished non-smog head from the
UK, followed perfect etiquette with a new torque wrench, never
over heated the engine, and still it cracks.

If my heart was doing that you'd better believe I'd want it changed.

Kai, how many wary old MGs are you saving from the junkyards?  I've
saved a few.  The team has more $200 MG Midgets than we know what
to do with.  Nobody wants them.  Just a couple of months ago we
hauled home a '75 Midget, runs great, gearbox needs to be swapped.
The guy had it for sale for *months*.  We got it for about the same
as what ecology would've given him for it, to sit there and not
have its parts pulled, and then get crushed.  I've seen too many MGs
destroyed becuase no one wants to get dirty and spend a weekend
in the yard to really believe there's that many folks with a "save
'em all" attitude.

And as far as the 'B V-8 conversion goes.  You speak like we're
some drooling brain-dead hot rodder, torch in hand, ready to cut
the car up and shove in some 440 cubic inch boat motor.

Some information:  on a rubber bumpered car, the V-8 conversion is
*easily* reversed.  How does changing a radiator and tranny crossmember
destroy a car?  I don't even have to weld *anything* on my car.
Bolt in a different radiator, bolt in a modified tranny crossmember
(that I got out of a junkyard from a gutted 'B GT that's surely
crushed by now), and then bolt in the powerplant.  Yes, there are a
lot of little things that are required, but I don't see how bolt-on
parts *destroy* a car?  (I will admit that depending on one's choice
of gearbox, the tranny tunnel could need minor modification.)

This is what I get in return.  Twice the horsepower, cylinder heads
that don't crack, and 30 mpg.  And an engine that, after rebuild, I can
expect well over 100k, including autocrossing the beast.  Yeah, I'm
gonna get my butt kicked all over E Modified, but I don't race
to beat other people, I race for myself.

All this on *my* car.  An MG I've kept on the roads for the past 11 years.

I've said it before:  If those boys at Abingdon didn't want me putting
a V-8 in my 'B, then they wouldn't have designed the engine bay for
that beautiful little alloy V-8.

If, for some bizarre reason, I ever wanted to put the B series engine
back in, I'll do it.  But, that engine will probably live out its
life in our '68 autocrosser, until the head becomes unusable.  If
I find the right 'B GT, it may make its way there, but that's a post
V-8 project.

*If* MGBs were rare, and *if* there was a huge demand for them,
I'd agree.  But, that ain't how it is.  Sure, there are some folks
that go out looking for a 'B for a V-8 conversion project, but
usually it's the other way around.  Folks have a 'B, then find
out about the V-8.  If they convert a car that has a running
1.8 in it, well, that means more parts for the rest of us
when our cylinder heads crack or whatever.

I grew up with LBCs.  The first car I was ever in (even before I
was born!) was a Healy Bugeye.  I've spent more time than any
sane person should crawling in, under, and over MGs, A-Hs, TRs,
and Jags.  I love the cars, and I think it's great that our
scene includes folks who want to preserve them, in factory
imperfect form.  My MGB however, is a daily driver, and autocrosser
and rally car.  I drive it.  I drive it *hard*.  What I've spent
on cylinder heads alone for the 1.8 is more than I paid for my
complete 3.9, *with* fuel injection.

A Rover V-8 conversion isn't something to be taken lightly, isn't
for everyone, and requires a lot of thought.  I for one think, that
it makes an interesting enhancement to a great old MG.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/