RE: Use a Rover, NOT an Buick V-8

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Use a Rover, NOT an Buick V-8
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 00:53:18 EST

--part0_886398799_boundary

From: MGMagnette@aol.com
To: mgb.roadster@juno.com
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:32:30 EST

Hey All-
  Someone said:
"I doubt that the 63 Buick 3100 series engine was under-powered, compared
to the first Rovers. "  It was.
  Strangely enough there is a story in the February 1998 Issue of Classic And
Sportscar.  In that issue they compare a Rover P5B Coupe and a Buick LeSabre
400.  They compared the two cars ofcourse because they have "the same" engine.
But they aren't the same. Let me quote two sections...

 "The Rovers ability on the motorway is still a thing of wonder.  Moving
naturally into the outside lane, the P5B sits at 85mph, ebbing and flowing
with the quickest of moderns.  Kickdown delivers enough thrust to shift past
liines of uphill, middle-lane queues and onto speeds that will cost you a
license before they'll worry the P5B.  That's thanks to the British
interpretation of the Buick V-8.
    When the engine came over to be developed for the P5B, a Buick man came to
help. (re-read that, "developed" means the engine was changed).  Rover wanted
it to rev higher than its top whack of 4400 rpm, and the American couldn't
understand why.  So Rover put him in a 6 cylinder P5 with a development driver
and send him up the newly opened M6 at 100mph plus.  He returned white faced
and wise to the demands placed on British cars.  (Re-read that, it means it
red lined where you'd just start going until Rover got ahold of it)  In due
course, the Buick 3.5-litre V8 became Rover's own, giving 184 bhp gross at
5200rpm, a 30 percent hike on the original. "

Ah, 30% hike.  That might just mean faster.  Ok, so we've established that
from the beginning, the Rover versions had more horsepower and a higher rev
line.  Sounds like the Rover might make a better sportscar engine...  Let me
quote some more.

"On the motorway, the Rover just dissapears.  The Buick pulls well to about
60mph but then begins breathing hard, just at the point where the Rover
explodes into the distance."  You want to breath hard at 60 or explode into
the distance at 60?

Someone completely different said:
"You encourage people to use the Rover engine in their conversions then
ask them not to use certain Rovers, the very Rovers that use the BOP
engine.  See anything contradictory in this?  If you are concerned about
saving P5Bs or P6s then encourage the converter to use the BOP engine."

Yes, we should save the remaining P5Bs and P6s, but I've never minded anyone
dismantling a Range Rover.  You engine choice is gonna be a compromise between
availibility, price, power, and maybe a desire to save British Classics.  The
BOP (Buick Olds Pontiac) engine doesn't have the power.  That leaves Rover
Engines.  While price and availiblity change from region to region, ripping
the heart out of a Range Rover doesn't make me too upset, but destroying a P5B
would be tragic.  Obviously if any of these cars are beyond repair why not
give the engine another life, but most trashed cars have trashed engines.  So
for most, a Range Rover engine will be the greatest compromise.

Then someone said:
"I have to disagree with your statement, "You'd be just as happy with a
normal MGB, and a nice restored Rover to drive to work".  You obviously
haven't driven a high performance sports car.  No one who enjoys cars and
has driven a MGB V8 would make such a statement."

I guess the V-12 XJ-S I drive everyday isn't a high performance car...   What
is a V8 MGB?  It's called a TVR, why don't you get one of those?  You've
obviously never driven a Rover to work.  No one who enjoys cars and has driven
a Rover would make such a statement.

I again put out my plea to stop the destruction of Rovers for the sake of a
hotrod MG.  I say this as an owner of 3 MGs, and former Rover owner.

Ofcourse, this information isn't meant to criticize, just to enlighten, please
accept it in the manor it is given.

John

--part0_886398799_boundary--