Re: The price of driving. Semi- LBC related

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: The price of driving. Semi- LBC related
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 17:09:00 EST
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:48:01 -0500 mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John
McEwen) writes:(snipped liberally)
>Hello fellow MGophiles:
>
>It seems to me that in our discussion of the cost of tuneups and
>maintenance on new cars we are overlooking one significant thing.
>
>We are advocates of old iron and most of us possess the wherewithall
>maintain and repair said iron.  So why the hell are you driving new
>vehicles which you can't maintain or repair?

>My point is simple.  There are lots of good cars out there lurking
>forgotten in old people's garages or abandoned at the back of dealers'
>lots.  The bargain finders and nickel ads are full of them and the
>classifieds are bulging.

You make a good point John, Most of the cars i have enjoyed the most -
and
had sterling service from have been second hand, often barely runners
when obtained. They are much cheaper overall on a per mile basis than the
"brand spanking new variety"
I suppose i shouldnt whine about my jeep too much - in 108000 miles it
hasnt had
anything like the bill it just had  - i bought it for its reliability
over high usage
(S.O.and i do about 25000 pa each)and potentially dreadful weather after
the winter we had 4 years ago when i was marooned in my 83 mercury at
least once a week!
S.Os are always a factor in daily vehicle procurement - as im sure mst of
you know!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster
93 jeep
96 jeep

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]