Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Internet (N

To: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Internet (No LBC))
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:58:58 -0500
Hi Ben:

One thing about styling is that it's all in the eye of the beholder.  I
never did like the RX7 - first series - because of the hoky rear window
treatment.  It always looked like they couldn't afford to do the job
properly.  Otherwise it's not bad but is still generic '70s Japanese.  You
probably like the TR7 and the first series MR2 as well.  They all resemble
one another.  What about the 240 SX?  I feel that the wedge styling of the
seventies looks very dated and awkward today.  Just my opinion.

 Here's a challenge for you and any other lister who is interested.  Sit
down with a good book(s) of pictures of cars of the world from about 1948
to 1980 and see which designs from any manufacturer and any model which you
consider are really outstanding-looking today. Pick 10 to 20 cars. Then try
to decide why.  I don't think you'll find many '70s wedges on that list.
But again, that's my opinion.

If you'd like to do this and send me your list, I'd love to see it and
comment on it. Don't include exotic cars as they are just too
anti-mainstream to be significant overall.  I am very much a student of the
automobile and its place in history and I have a very strong interest in
styling.

John