Re: Suspension and wheel/tire upgrades

To: Mx6perform@aol.com
Subject: Re: Suspension and wheel/tire upgrades
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 17:34:06 EST
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 14:28:07 EST Mx6perform@aol.com writes:
>I was looking at the Moss catalog at the Monroe shock conversion. I
>was
>wondering if the conversion would lower my 76 B.
None.  No shock conversion will have any effect on ride height. Ride
height is strictly a function of spring mounting, design and placement.
To lower the ride height on a 76 (or any other) B, installation of
"lowering blocks" on the rear spring/axle mount, concurrent with the
fitting of shorter coil springs in the front. All are readily availible
from the major parts suppliers, Moss, VB, Special Interest, etc

>If so how much? Also
>are
>there any ways to lower it more after installing the shocks? I want
>the lowest
>possible drop for my car.
With that "lowest possible drop, come minimal ground clearance. When you
consider the normal ground clearance on a chrom bumper B is around 6",
there ain't a lot to play with.  Unless you really get off on the sound
of metal grinding against ashpalt.

> I like my cars to handle on rails. I think
>that the
>MGB will do this with a few mods. I plan to install a very strong
>front sway
>bar because to tell the truth my grandmothers car has less body roll
>than my B.
 Don't get into the mindset that "bigger is better" It's awfully easy to
really destroy the handling of a car (any car) when the suspension
changes are not thought out.  What about rear body roll? With an massive
anti-roll bar in front, it's very possible to have a car that 1)has
little or no body roll in the front; and 2) in accelerating out of a hard
corner, actually lifts the inside front tire.  Result is less precise
handling than the "stock" set up.
 Several good books are on the shelf regarding handling modifications,
both specifically for the MG and for cars in general. Before you start
plonking down the cash for the biggest bar avalible and haveing the oil
pan drag the ground every 30 seconds, do some studying and see just what
you need. Oh. Sales brochures and ad hype for suspension components does
not constitute serious study.
 The List Wisdom is invaluble.  Listen carefully to what replies you
receive. They are from people who have "been there, done that" and they
ain't trying to sell you something.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget
> Also what types of wheel/tire combos are out there? I don't plan to
>spend
>$2000 for the wire wheels in the Moss cat. but would like some four
>lug wheels
>comparable to them.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]