Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Inter

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Inter
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 14:17:56 -0800
Scott Gardner wrote:
>  After all, if our
> cars are so ideal in their stock form, why are there so many threads
> on the list about:

<el snippo>

> The list goes on.  Keep in mind that not all of the above are
> strictly about improving performance.  Several of them address known
> and accepted shortcomings (or at the very least, compromises) in the
> original design.

        I couldn't agree with you more because you made some great points about
most
new car owners and new cars in general.  However, this last part strikes a
common
chord with everything automotive that lives in my soul:  No matter how great a
car is,
it could always do it better.  I've never heard of a car that does everything
so well
there was nothing that could be changed on it.  Heck, even Mazda sells a kit to
swap a
302 into a Miata.  By the time a car is refined to the point that it's
mechanically
pleasurable in it's genre, time has passed it by (see Dodge Daytona).  What
makes a
car good is relative.  I like my cars to corner like a wheelbarrow, but my
granfather
expects his Lincoln to roll and wallow in the turns.  I like a suspension so
stiff
that I feel cigarette butts when I drive over them, while my grandfather could
hit a
gaggle of geese and never feel it.  Along those lines, there will never be a
car that
does everything perfectly and makes everybody totally happy.  No matter what I
do with
my MGB, I'll always think that there could be something more that I could do
with it,
whether that's a canvas top or a V-8 conversion.  Oh, wait a minute...That's
how I
feel about all of my vehicles...Silly me!

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College