Re: Lowering

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>, peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu
Subject: Re: Lowering
From: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 01:28:13 -0800 (PST)
Re: rebound straps

I've just replaced my rear springs rebound straps and vertially all
the rear suspension ('71 Midget). The rebound straps should not be
stretched normally other than maybe during a 'rebound' - boing!. They
should be slack other wise.

Cheers

Chris Nevard
spridgeteer@yahoo.com

---Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net> wrote:

> > Dear Netters,
> >
> > I recently replaced the rear leaf springs on my 1970 MGB-GT with new
> > stock GT springs. While I had the thing apart, I checked my lever
> > shocks- they provided little resistance to movement and thus had
little
> > shock absorbing capability. My choices were to buy new/rebuilt lever
> > shocks or try one of the conversions. I opted for the latter on
the rear
> > as it was MUCH cheaper than buying the lever shocks and I would
still be
> > able to go right back to the original stock situation within a
couple of
> > hours. At any rate, I installed new rebound straps and I think
they may be
> > too short. The rear end is only a couple of inches higher than it
was with
> > the old flat tired springs. It also may be that the straps stretch
a bit
> > over time giving a little more height in the back. I'm not that
tall (5'
> > 10" on a good day) and I find it hard to see clearly out of the back
> > window unless I slouch down a bit from my most comfortable seating
position
> > as the rear end seems to be to still be a bit low. I've left the
front end
> > completely stock.
> >
> > Any of you care to comment on this?
> >

> I didn't think that the rebound strap was under tension with the car
> just sitting still.  I thought that it only fully extended when the
> car was rebounding from a bump.  As such, I don't think the length of
> the strap would affect the height of the car when sitting still.  If
> that was the case, and the strap was under tension at all times, they
> would probably have a pretty short lifespan.
> Scott

==
Chris Nevard

"If there was no electricity a television would have to use candlelight"