power brakes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: power brakes
From: "John A. Wise" <wise@db.erau.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:09:36 -0500
Re:  '77 MGB, 190K miles

As I ease off the brake pedal AFTER a stop, I hear what appears to be a
slight hiss.  The sound only appears when the brake pedal is at partial
pressure - e.g., sitting a traffic light.When it is fully applied or fully
of - there is no detectable sound.   It also only apears after the car has
been driven.  When I try to replicate the sound in the garage - so my son
or I can try to localize it - it does not occur.

I have also noticed a slight increase in RPM when I hear the hissing.

The brakes seem to be working fine.

I have replaced the vacumme line.  Will I need to rebuild the booster unit.
If so is that a job a moderately skilled person can handle.  I noted in the
VB catelog that they feel rebuilding a loockheed unit is best left to a
professional.  How does one tell if you have a Bendix or Lockheed servo??

Any suggesttions????

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Department of Human Factors & Systems           Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA