Word from the mouth

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Word from the mouth
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:20:53 -0500
I discussed my MGB starting problem with John Pritchard
today, who is an LBC guru of John Twist proportions. I have
heard of some LBCers giving him the edge actually.

  On a side note, he's a lot like Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi", sometimes
he'll bend over backwards to help for no charge, sometimes he
isn't fun to deal with. Oh well.

  Anyways, he recommends these actions.

  Soaking the bores in diesel fuel for at least a few days, keep
them full and some gentle motion at times. This should dissolve any
"gooey" reasons why the rings aren't performing.

  Next, he recommends ensuring the cooling system is ready for
a bit of running, because once it goes it should be left to go.

  He then says connect 24V to the starter, but ensure that 24V
goes to no electrical parts of the car or much light bulb blowing
will result. He also cautions to not leave the car ignition on
or a coil will fry, but it will handle 24V when running because
of the dwell-ratio.

  Next, fire it up and let it run at a few thousand RPMs for 2-3
minutes until it gets hot. The 24V will give a much faster starting
spin and also a hotter spark, at the cost of a set of points.

  After the engine reaches heat, go back to 12V and run the engine
for 2-3 hours.

  At this time, he recommends checking the oil pressure and deciding
then if the engine is worth saving or not.

  As an aside, I have a slight recommendation for Bosch Platinum
plugs to throw in. I am using HEAVY amounts of oil in the cylinders
to give me compression to start, and the bosch platinums seem to
do a much better job at firing under these conditions than the
Champions.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada