[Fwd: Re: Off-Topic--Microsoft Bundling Practice]

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Off-Topic--Microsoft Bundling Practice]
From: Charley Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:34:36 -0800

--------------203C5A026F22

--

   Charley Robinson           <ccrobins@ktc.com>
   AMA 6903
   IMAA 6410

--------------203C5A026F22

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:14:10 -0800
From: Charley Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
To: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: Off-Topic--Microsoft Bundling Practice

Speaking as a computer professional, the description the web browser
being "integrated into the OS" strikes me as a little bit pat.  All of
the versions of Windows I've worked with are an amalgamation of separate
modules. When you load Win '95, you don't  have to load _any_ web
browser.  Why load a browser if you don't have a MODEM in the machine?
When you put in additional hardware you load the appropriate driver or
application software. In most cases Win '95 detects the new hardware and
prompts the user to load the appropriate Windows driver.  What MS was
doing, IMHO, was _forcing_ computer builders to provide _only_ Internet
Explorer as a condition of selling the builders a license to use Win '95
as their OS.  MS was trying to squeeze Netscape out of the market, IMHO.
--

   Charley Robinson           <ccrobins@ktc.com>
   '69 B

--------------203C5A026F22--