Re: Door Mounting Question

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Door Mounting Question
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:17:41 +0000
Mike Lishego wrote:

> michael j robson wrote:
> >
> > It might bear mentioning that there are SO MANY adjustments that a
> > working knowledge of three dimensional chess is practically a
> > prerequisite for fitting a door!
> > God what an awful job!
>
> Mike,
>         Could you please enlighten the list and I as to what these various
>adjustments
> are?  I thought you could only adjust each of the two hinges and the striker.
> Enquiring MG's want to know...
> --
> Michael S. Lishego
> St. Andrews Presbyterian College
> Elementary Education Major,
> English Minor, Class of 1999
> R.A. of Winston-Salem Hall

The two hinges can be moved on the A-post up and down and from side to side to
a) align the curves of the door and the front wing, and b) align the horizontal
creases of the door and the front wing.

The hinges slide in and out of the door together to set the vertical gaps at
the
front and rear of the door, and slide independantly of each other to align
the crease at the rear of the door with the crease in the rear wing.

The factory used a bar that clamped onto the top and bottom of the door near
the back edge so that when the front of the door was correctly aligned with the
curve of the front wing the door was twisted to align its rear eadge with the
curve of the rear wing.

The striker plate sets how far in to the door hole the door sits when it is
shut, it should not really be used to lift the door up into alignment when
closed.

The position of the quarterlight in relation to the windscreen seal when the
door is closed is adjusted by the bolt at the bottom of the front window
channel
running in a slot right at the bottom of the door, and possibly by
oversize-holes at the top of the door.  Too much contact between quarterlight
and seal causes cracked door skins.

Been there, done all that.

PaulH.