FW: Re: Front and Rear bumpers (MGB body mods)

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Front and Rear bumpers (MGB body mods)
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:25:00 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     Admin request of type /\bsubscribe\b/i at line
3]

     Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:06:42 -0500
     From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
     Subject: Re: Front and Rear bumpers (MGB body mods)

At 10:45 AM 1/27/98 -0800, Keith Wheeler wrote:

>Now if one happens to subscribe to the "original is the only way, no one
>should modify a car and all those Sebring MGBs are just DPO garbage"...
>I don't know what to say then.

>The factory built Sebring and Le Mans specials.  I see no reason why
>one built now by an enthusiest is any less a "real" MG.  To me at least,
>it's that nostalgia thing again, anything from the past is wonderful
>(hence the acceptance of "original" Sebring and Le Mans 'Bs, Midgets
>and Sprites) but unless it's a *perfect* representation of the past,
>anything done to these cars today is just so much lower class
>blundering.
>
>Give us a break.  If the guy wants to rebody a 'B, a '76 is just
>as fine a start as anything.

I have to side with Keith here.  If the guys want to convert his B
then let him.  Also, I've heard you can sell a RB B and buy a CB B for
slightly more, and this, in my opinion, sounds like a better idea, but
who am I to say what he should do.

I am an outspoken advocate of CB Bs on this list.  I feel they are
better than their counterpart RB models, but again I must confess that
this is opinion.  I feel many have mistaken my deep passion as
snobbery towards the owners of RB Bs.  Can't a guy just have a deep
rooted opinion.  Who the heck ever said my word is set in stone, or
even sane.

I think anyone who owns, drives, or works on MGs is alright by me.  I
saw a fellow in a parking lot yesterday who said, "I haven't seen one
of those in a long time."  I smiled and knew I was having fun.

Also, some time back I said that all owners should try to put original
on their cars.  I find nothing wrong with Lucas alternators, so why
partake the chore of retrofitting a GM alternator.  Some may disagree,
I know.  The point I am trying to make, is what does retrofitting
yield when you try to resell the car.  I saw a retrofit on one of the
first Bs I ever saw and it was a bastardized little contraption.  I
decided against buying that B, partly because of this.  But the car
sold the next day, nevertheless.

I'm training to be an engineer, and by default I'm one anal little
fool(I build things; no anality=building falls down, people die).

Of course most of you don't intend on selling your cars, but still, I
feel original is better, in most cases.

Oh well, I am rambling.

Jay

with '70 MGB and '78 MGB