Re: MG Main bearing caps

To: code5@ibm.net, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Main bearing caps
From: MGSMGBGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:58:44 EST
In a message dated 2/14/98 11:18:12 PM, code5@ibm.net wrote:

>I'm dismantling my 1600 engine.  The three main bearing caps are
>obviously pressed in. Does anyone know of any tricks to get these off
>short of buying the special puller referred to in the MGA shop manual?
>Hate to buy a tool I'll only (hopefully) use once.
>Alternatively, where do you find a puller with the right thread?
>Thanks.
>John Vallely
I do not recall the exact bolt size, but get the longest bolt you can find in
that size and a slide weight of some sort.  Ready rod, a large washer and a
couple of nuts may work.  Use the pipe or other slide weight to tap against
the head of the bolt or the two nuts and a washer.  should come out fairly
easily.

Bob Shaw