Re: MG Main bearing caps

To: code5@ibm.net
Subject: Re: MG Main bearing caps
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:49:01 EST
On Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:01:06 -0500 code5 <code5@ibm.net> (John Vallely)
writes:

>I'm dismantling my 1600 engine.  The three main bearing caps are
obviously pressed in. Does anyone know of any tricks to get these off
short of buying the special puller referred to in the MGA shop manual?

The caps are not all that tight a fit in the block, something called a
locational clearance fit.  To get them out you screw a bolt in one of the
taped holes and pull with a gentle taping of a slide hammer (aka "dent
puller").  The threade in the front and rear bearing caps are for oil pan
bolts, so 1/4-28 UNF (or SAE fine thread).  The one large threaded hole
in the center bearing cap is (if memory serves me well) 7/16-20 UNF
(ditto SAE fine thread).  You can get these bolts at a hardware or auto
parts store.

The cheapo dent puller variety slide hammer is available from J.C.Whitney
for $16.99.  The more complete slide hammer and puller kit is 49.99 and
comes with 2-jaw and 3-jaw inside and outside pullers (good for small
gears and oil seals), an axel puller adapter, body sheet metal screw
puller, body puller hook, and locking plier adapter.  A very handy tool
to have around (once or twice a year).  For a little more money you can
pick these tools up at your local auto parts store.

And if you have some time on your hands and feel a little creative, you
can build your own slide hammer from a threaded rod, a few hex nuts and
flat washers, and a piece of pipe that will slide over the rod.  Adapting
the end of the rod to the part to be pulled is the creative bit.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]