Re: Aligning drive shaft

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aligning drive shaft
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:33:24 -0800
>  > > Can anyone tel me (us) how critcal this is and, if it is imperative that
>  > > it goes back exactly the same way it came out, what we can do about it
>  > > now?

Here's my unsolicited .02 worth.  In every truck I've ever worked on or known,
the
driveshaft was statically balanced - It didn't matter how the sucker went back
on,
since it was balanced regardless of it's alignment.  As for my MG, I swapped in
a new
rear end this summer.  The driveshaft seemed to line up only two ways.  The
other
directions would result in the holes being misaligned.  I held my breath, took
a shot,
and bolted it back up.  No vibration, rattling, or any other funny stuff from
the car.
 So, I dunno.  The worst that can happen is serious vibration, and you only
have to
spend a weekend trying to get it bolted back up, right?
Good luck, no matter what you do!

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College