Re: Engine Swap

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Swap
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 98 19:16:44 PST
Ron wrote:

>Ok, you guys have pulled me away from the 300zx swap. What engine do you
think
>I should drop in? Of course money is a major consern also the easier the
>install the better. Oh yeah,  its going in a '76 MG MGB.

A '76 'B is a good starting point for, of all things, the Rover V-8
conversion.  This has been done for under $2000, but it's also
been done for $12,000.  I've seen running engines for sale for
as little as $400.  I got my gearbox out of a "u-pull-it" 'yard
for under $100.  I paid $950 for my engine, but it's a 3.9, and
fuel injected.  I could've used it as is, but I've opted to rebuild
it, go +020, and run high compression pistons.

The best thing to do is get the "How to Give Your MGB V-8 Power"
by Roger Williams.  I got mine for $25 or so at Barnes and Noble.
It explains a lot, and shows how easy it can be.  With a '76 'B
it could be as easy as:  move the radiator forward, modify the
transmission tunnel and mounts, put engine in.  But then you have
to remember than any engine swap will need a better radiator
than the four banger 'B, and you'll have hoses, wires, and cables
to fool with.

For those of you who've thought about a 'B engine conversion, I've
started a page for starters:  http://www.teamsanctuary.com/mgbv8.htm
Some links and info, enough to point you in the right directions.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/