MGA - stuck hood

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA - stuck hood
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:46:08 -0500
Another snag in the project - a few days ago I "tacked" the front
fenders on my '59 MGA (2 bolts on each) in prep for a more permanent job
this weekend.  They looked so good that last night I set the hood in
place - no screws or anything - just laid it on.  It would not close
completely so I pushed down on the front a bit.  This AM I tried to
remove the hood and found that the latch (the plunger portion - not the
hook) is stuck.  I was going to work and did not have a lot of time to
fool with it.  Now that I know what I will be doing this evening - I'm
looking for suggestions/hints as to the best way to get it unstuck.  I
do not have the grill installed (fortunately) so it shouldn't be that
big a deal.  My major question is - is this a finesse job - tap lightly
and move slightly or do I get under there with a hand sledge and a
punch?  The assembly is "dry" - no grease and I thought I might grease
it up try to finesse it out first.  I have a tendency, however, for
rapid escalation in the use of force which often causes me problems.

I switched over to the digest so please mail me direct.  Thanks for any
assistance.

-ralph cordell (RZC4@cdc.gov)
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal