Aftermarket Steering Wheels and Horns (All MG)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Aftermarket Steering Wheels and Horns (All MG)
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 17:04:34 -0800
Hello All,
        Sorry if you get this twice, but I sent it once on Saturday morning,
and
haven't seen it yet, so here goes...
        I recently bought a used, aftermarket wood rimmed steering wheel for my
MGB.
It really is a nice one, with three chrome spokes and a rim that needs to be
tung-oiled once a month.  Anyway, since it is not a direct fit, I need to buy
an
aftermarket adaptor, which Summit sells for about $16.  The wheel did not come
with a
center, so I figured I'd get out the jigsaw and the teakwood stock and make one
myself. My problem arises with the fitting of the horn, as there doesn't seem
to be
any provisions for a horn with this rim.  Has anyone else with a non-BMC rim
had this
problem?  What did you do?
        I figured that I'd mount a button or switch somewhere in the cockpit,
maybe on
the the cowl, under the dash, on the trans. tunnel.  However, as of right now,
my
horns don't work anyway.  Is there a horn relay that I should replace or check?
imagine that I should test the horns themselves, and if they prove to be
defective, I
might as well buy some kind of aftermarket system...How much is that setup that
plays
the first few bars of Dixie?
--
Michael S. Lishego